Suppose many homes are without power in your area after a winter storm. The furnace is one system you cannot go long without, even if there are many ways to cope with the absence of light. However, it may not matter as much to you if you have a gas furnace.
Even though you should still have gas running through your home during a regular power outage, it does not mean all gas appliances will work. For example, most furnaces will not work if you experience a power outage at home.
If you choose to upgrade your furnace for energy savings or furnace replacement in Tomball, TX, Make sure you pick out the most reliable contractors. They can recommend the best option for your home given its size, available space, and energy efficiency goals.
Is Your Gas Furnace Capable Of Operating Without Electricity?
In a nutshell, no. Even though your furnace is fuelled by gas, some components require electricity to function. Among them are:
An Electric Blower
Blower fans are responsible for bringing warm air into the home from your furnace.
Your furnace can have several relay controls that control gas flow and safety switches that ensure your furnace does not run if something goes wrong. However, it simply will not run unless you have backups in place to protect your furnace.
In the absence of power, your thermostat cannot tell your furnace that it’s time to turn on! A thermostat controlled by a circuit board cannot run on batteries, even if a battery powers it.
The Electronic Ignition System
It is impossible to turn your modern furnace on and get heat simply by lighting the pilot. Electronic ignition is used for most furnaces today, even those that use natural gas. A hot surface ignitor or electronic spark powers it up when the furnace is on, so a pilot light does not have to be lit all day and night.
A blackout will result in your gas furnace not working. This is because you cannot turn it on during a power outage due to the furnace’s built-in safety system.
In The Event Of A Power Outage, What Do You Do?
In the event of an electrical outage that leaves your home without heat, you should consider having a heater replacement in the Woodlands, TX professional connect the furnace to a generator that will power the electric components of the furnace. You can temporarily heat your home using additional heating sources as a temporary solution.
- If you need emergency heating, you can use our temporary wood-burning equipment. You can temporarily install a wood-burning stove with just a stove, an elbow, and a wood piece along with a window.
- You can also use a kerosene heater to keep your home warm temporarily. Like old-fashioned stoves, this will radiate heat from all sides, allowing you to obtain the maximum amount of heat from them. When using a kerosene heater, be sure you don’t run out of fuel.
Can A Gas Furnace Be Fixed If It Won’t Work After A Power Outage?
As soon as power is restored, your furnace should start working again. If this is not the case, please follow these steps:
- Ensure that your furnace is on.
- If the control panel displays an error message, you may need to replace or repair something.
- There is a possibility that the safety lock is engaged. If so, wait for a moment and press the reset button firmly.
- To determine if a fuse or breaker has blown, check it.
- Make sure the vents aren’t blocked by snow or ice.
- Be sure your thermostat is on and turned high enough to warm up your home.
You should schedule it before you need it or start using it for HVAC service. Don’t wait until the unit breaks down or malfunctions to contact your local Heating and Air Conditioning specialist. You should schedule furnace repair in Tomball and air conditioning service no less than once a year or every six months. HVAC systems need regular maintenance to last longer.
When it comes to replacing, repairing, or maintaining any part of your system, Valliere Air Conditioning & Heating offers low-cost, dependable repair services, as well as expert consultation, sales, and air conditioning installation in Cypress, TX. Our services include everything from heating and air conditioning to indoor air quality. It is a pleasure to offer you honest and reliable HVAC services from Valliere Air Conditioning & Heating.